Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Friday, May 18, 2012

Window Boxes...

On Monday I was able to complete a small lap quilt for a neighbor lady that headed to the hospital this week for surgery and a week long stay.

I had to do this one in a hurry, mostly cause I had Mother's day presents to complete as well :)

So, when I decided to make this quilt to brighten what could be a dreary hospital stay, I needed something in my stash, something fast, and something cheery!

Well, I had some 6.5"x6.5" material pre-cut and waiting...for years...to be sewn into a rag quilt. This was a much more worthy project and turned out so cute.

I made a quick design and named it Window Boxes...
With the bigger boxes being pre-cut, this really did go together quickly!
I did have to buy the sashing...got that at the local Amish/Mennonite (not sure which one they are...) store that sells bulk food, fabric/sewing goods, and has a great selection of deli meat and cheese.
I should have looked at some backing when I got the sashing, however, I didn't... so I used a yard piece that was meant for another quilt... but the yellow with daisies just looked so RIGHT! Added a little piecing and  a label to the last quarter of the back and had a quick back ready to go!
Also, just did a quick quilting - straight lines about a 1/4 of an inch in on the sashing... goes with the Window Box thing :) The quilting was really nice on the white with a slightly shiny Bright white thread by Sulky. I think I'm going to use the same white thread in the white sections of my Orange Peel Scallop Quilt...which I hope to quilt tonight during FNSI - still time to sign-up if you want to join the fun!

I finished up with a yellow binding.
It turned out so nice...and I think I have enough pre-cuts to make another one :) !!!!!!!!

Quilt turned out to be about 36" x 60" - a small lap size. Great for really highlighting a fabric pattern.

Adding this one to the weekend linky parties...check 'em out!

UPDATE: Also, choose this one to add to the Summer Sewing Contest for Ellison Lane. It has great Summer colors and I hope it is a great comfort to the recipient this Summer!


Ellison Lane Quilts



Verily, verily, I say unto you, 
He that believeth on me,
 the works that I do shall he do also; 
and greater works than these shall he do; 
because I go unto my Father.
John 14:12

On Tuesday night we went to a Revival service and this was the text. It was a great message to Christians about the GREAT works that can be done through us if we are willing to be used by God. The concept shared was that we can do GREATER works than Jesus was able to do while He was here on earth. God has used willing men of God to bring multitudes to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ as our Saviour. These great revivals began in Acts with Peter and many more have since followed, some beginning with the earnest prayer of faithful ladies.........are you willing to be used? perhaps YOU could be the start of the next great revival!

Amanda

5 comments:

  1. The quilt is really beautiful, Amanda! What a blessing you are to the lady who is receiving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful!! I am a new follower, and a fellow quilter:) I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime:)

    Shannon@SewSweetCottage

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have the sweetest projects, I love the color combos, I am going to show this off tonight!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful quilt and photo shoot....terrific idea to go with yellow binding...fabulous

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your design and color choices. I am a big fan of yellow binding.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...