Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Scallop Quilt Top...

Last week in Curves Class with Rachel from Stitched in Color we began working on precise curves. The projects included the DP blocks, a Scallop Quilt, and an Orange Peel Pillow. We are not required to do every project each week, but I did all three of these...they were just so great!

I did the DP blocks to get comfortable with precise curves and because my wonderful husband got me the template from here for Christmas...which I love :) I showed my DP blocks on last Wednesday's post if you want to see them.

Wednesday's class was a greatly anticipated class...the Scallop Quilt! I bought my fabric for this quilt in mid-January with Christmas money, and couldn't wait to get started on it!

Here is a close-up of the main fabrics in the scallops...
The original pattern was for a baby sized quilt. Well, around here, we like larger blankets...so I added two extra scallops, some inches to the width, and then some borders.
 So now it's about the size of a twin quilt.
It's been quite windy around here this winter...today was no exception!

Thursday's project for class was an Orange Peel block for a pillow. I didn't really think I needed a pillow and thought it would look nice in the quilt...so I added it to the quilt!
Close-up of the Orange peel block before adding it to the quilt...
I'm loving this combination of material, colors, and shapes so much that I decide this is going to be my quilt! I love how the top turned out... 

and I did get the material with my Christmas money...
and I'm making it for the class I got for my birthday...
and I need a quilt for on my office chair :)

However, now I want to 'decorate' my sewing/office space with this combination of fabrics...so I have some of the scrap pieces cut for mini granny squares to make a chair pillow.

I'm going to wait to quilt this on my new sewing machine...once I get it, I'll tell you all about it... :) So EXCITED!!!

Also, once I get this and Liz's quilt quilted, I'll show them off!

So, I finished this top today,
and I also received some great fabric in the mail... :)
I finally WON a giveaway! Randi, at Fresh-Squeezed Fabrics and writer of I have to say... blog, hosts a weekly fat 1/8ths giveaway...and I won last week! I was so excited when I found out I won... I probably would have started jumping up and down, but I was holding a sick baby.

So, keep commenting, you never know when you'll actually win...  :)


Be still, and know that I am God:
Psalm 46:10a

Sometimes we need to remember in all the chaos of life, that we need to stop and regain our focus. Even in the midst of knowing that God is in control, we need to be still and listen for His will and regain a vision for following Him.

Focus on God and follow His will...
Amanda

Sharing at the great linky parties with wonderful hostess's listed on the right side bar... Check'm out :)

5 comments:

  1. You make such lovely things!
    This quilt is no exception. I'd better into gear and make that scallop quilt too :)
    Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The orange peel block really adds something special to your scallop quilt. Beautiful colors and beautiful fabrics. Can't say I blame you for laying claim!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scallop quilt is out of the ordinary and beautiful. I too love the soothing colors. Lovely post, Amanda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the scallop quilt...it is really beautiful! The block adds so much to it. Love the pink and black fabrics..that will be a gorgeous project too!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your curves are AMAZING and this quilt is STUNNING! Great job!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...