Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Skirt to Dress...

On the 4th of July, I was given a skirt that was my size, but fit a little funny around my waist. So, since it was a long skirt and had no slit, a thought came to mind... make it a dress!

So yesterday I transformed it into a dress...
It still falls nicely below my knees, even when sitting :)
...and since it obviously become a strapless dress, I needed to find something to wear over it.

I found a long sleeve shirt in my closet that I hardly wore, looked at a few shirts refashioned into shrugs on Pinterest, and made one of my own. I think it will get a lot of use!
I cut the shirt up the middle, taking out the three buttons where there is now two snaps, and sewed a casing on each side. In the casing is a piece of material used to gather it up. Also, I never really liked the original length of the sleeves so I cut and hemmed them to just over the elbow in length.

Here's a look at it from the back...
And since it was a skirt, it was slightly sack like, so I did some gathering in the back with elastic thread so it looks a little more fitted. This gathered section falls right about at my 'low' waist...
I can't wait to wear my new outfit to one of our evening services at camp :)

Yesterday, I also made Chad and myself washcloth travel kits for camp...similar to the ones floating around on Pinterest.
His is the tan, mine is the burgundy.
However, while working on the stuff for camp, it leaves a pile of fabric just waiting...and really wanting... to become swim dresses for the girls; and I just haven't had time to touch the two piles of squares cut for quilts. They just sit patiently waiting on me!
And like time isn't fleeting enough, Amber has decided to want to start potty training...ugh! She's almost 20 months old, so I knew it was coming soon, but she is speeding things along by (sometimes) telling me she needs to go (or just went...). I haven't gotten into the intense training with her, so she is still doing diapers and pull-ups. Maybe after camp we'll get her some underwear and see what happens!

Hope you are having a great week!
Linking up with WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.


And David said to Solomon his son,
Be strong and of good courage, and do it: 
fear not, nor be dismayed: 
for the Lord God, even my God, 
will be with thee; 
he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee, 
until thou has finished all the work 
for the service of the house of the Lord.
1 Chronicles 29:20 

When I read this yesterday, it was a good admonish to keep on doing the work God has called us to...and in that work God with be with us, guiding us, and comforting us. We do not need to worry or fear over what is going on...because we know that if we are doing the work of the Lord we will run into some contentions and hard situations. But God is always there for us! A verse earlier in the chapter, when Solomon was getting the charge to build the temple, he was told to "Take heed now....be strong, and do it."

We need to just do the will and work of God.



3 comments:

  1. You've certainly been busy, Amanda! How clever! You make a good model, by the way!
    I love the little washcloth kits, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do great work that is very nice! Eventually you'll get to that stack of fabric and get those projects completed. You're also very beautiful and have very cute daughters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear husband! Especially since the one stack of material is your quilt ;)

      Delete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...