Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Summer Travel Project...

As I browse through other blogs, I see some great things! One of them is the 60 degree Diamond English Paper Piecing quilts. I've decide to start this hand sewn quilt process for something to carry along with me to summer picnics and parties...I even made a new little bag for this endeavour!

I still have to do some whip stitching to finish off the raw edges on the inside...when I get it done, I'll show pictures of my finished Hand Sewing Travel Box.
But now on to what's going into the box...

This week I decided I wanted to try some hand sewing, so I looked into getting the EPP templates...

However, it was cheaper to print off the diamonds and make my own templates. I found free diamond/triangle graph paper here and did some copy & pasting, arranging and shifting to get my diamonds 2" on each side. This made it possible for me to get 12 on one sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 piece of card stock.

I printed them off, cut them out, scored them in the middle, and am working on hole punching them.

Today I wanted to cut out my material diamonds...so I started digging through my scraps. These are some of the piles I had going...

(This green leaf material was 'lost' in my pile... it didn't make it into this project, but I can't wait to use it in something!)
In the end, I decided on a fallish coloring and cut enough diamonds for a table topper quilt. I thought this would be a good size to start with...to see if I like it before diving into a whole quilt. Here are my diamonds...

Now, I just need to get stitching!

Jessica over at Life Under Quilts has a good video to show you the basics of 60 degree diamond EPP...check it out and join the fun...there's also a Flickr group!

This pile of fabric will soon be on the cutting table...

I designed my own full size quilt that I hope to use this material for. I'm going to start with one block to make sure I like these materials together...

If I do like it, they'll become a quilt. It will be a flannel top with a fleece backing...and no batting. I think it will make a very cozy and warm, yet light, quilt.

Also, if all works out well, I am hoping to write it up, open an Esty site and sell it...I'm excited to try my first pattern to sell. Any tips on starting to sell things?

On Thursday, my baby turned 6 months old...she cried all day, but I was able to get a couple of happy pictures.
 This one is from today...she was alot happier all day!

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear;
 but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.
Be not thou therefore ashamed
of the testimony of our Lord,...
2 Timothy 1:7 & 8a

I'm so glad that the Lord is working in us...even when our 'sound mind' seems like its not there anymore! Also, I want to continually be a witness for the Lord...and realize always that...

Being confident in this very thing,
that he which hath begun a good work in you
will preform it until the day of Jesus Christ:
Philippians 1:6

May your weekend be full of happy moments...
and church attendance!
Loving the chance to 'talk' with you...
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. Good luck with your EPP runner. I have been looking at the flickr group recently and would love to try this method. How did you make your templates as I cannot find the Quilt Patis in Australia and would love to make my own templates to. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love EPP! Hand piecing is so portable and very relaxing. I like to sit down and work on some while while watching a movie with the family. I'm always surprised how much I can get done in a couple hours of steady work.

    Love the Fall fabrics!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...