Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Monday, May 16, 2011

Amber's blanket...

This week the Bloggers' Quilt Festival is being held over at Amy's Creative Side. There are already over 425 entries...with new ones being added continually! Its a treasure trove of inspiration and beauty. Be sure to check it out!

In my recent post, The Joy of Nice Weather..., I showed the flannel quilts I made for my girls. I was not aware of the Bloggers' Quilt Festival till two days after the post...so I want to reshow the Flannel Rag Quilt I made for my youngest daughter, Amber.
I shared the story behind this quilt...but for the new visitors from the Festival, I'd like to share the story again, then I'll add a little bit about what I gained through making this quilt...


This pretty pink and purple one is Amber's. I made it for her just after she was born. This one has a story to it...do you want to hear it? Oh Good!

First, when I found out I was pregnant again, I knew I wanted to make a rag quilt for the new baby, but I was going to wait till I knew if it was going to be a girl or a boy. July 2010 was when I had my sonogram to find out...but the baby didn't cooperate! So, things happened that I did not need any other sonograms, and it was getting closer to November...

So, in September or October, we picked out a neutral palette of material and bought what was needed. However, it was actually a little on the boyish side, and I never got around to making the quilt. Then, I had the baby, a darling little girl - Amber! The week after I had her, I went to the ER with severe side pain. They didn't find anything wrong,
gave me pain pills and sent me home...

It was Black Friday...Jo-Ann's was having the best sale EVER on flannel, which is what the blankets are made out of. I told my loving husband that if I didn't hurt so much I would have him stop...but he knows me well!!!

He stopped and we got the fabrics to make the darling blanket, then went home... and then I slept most of the day. On Monday, I went to the chiropractor and he adjusted me as best as he could for only being a week after a C-section...
and I've been fine ever since.
He said a rib was probably just out of place from the C-section.

This quilt started me into sewing on a more regular basis...I've always enjoyed crafts, but didn't do much with the sewing machine regularly. The snipping of the frays was finished, by my husband (isn't he great!), on Christmas day...and the sewing machine has been out and used ever since. I'm loving the use of fabric and showing the projects on this blog...which I started in March.

Here are a few more pictures of the blanket with Amber...



Quilt Stats:
           Finished size...44" x 38"
           Material... corrdinating flannels from Jo-Ann's 
           Batting... felt by the yard

Today's verse is part of the parable used to show that being saved is done by God's grace, not through the law. (See the left side bar for more explaination of salvation through grace.)

No man also seweth a piece
of new cloth on an old garment:
else the new piece that filled it up
 taketh away from the old,
and the rent is made worse.
Mark 2:21

I've enjoyed seeing the various quilts...
Are you enjoying the show too?
Thanks for stopping...hope to 'see' you again soon!
Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Bella storia,
    bella la trapunta,
    stupenda la bimba!
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amanda, its beautiful. I love the colours and little Amber seems quite pleased with it. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the flannel rag quilts for babies.

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...