Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

My First Quilt...

I'm so excited to present to you my first quilt!

I finished in time to enter it into the Fall 2011 Quilt Bloggers' Festival over at Amy's Creative Side...were there are already over 500 quilts posted. I've been concentrating on getting the quilt done, so I haven't had time to browse much yet...

But for now, I hope you enjoy seeing my take on the Warm/Cool Quilt from Jeni at In Color Order...

Warm/Cool Squared Diamond
I was a little nervous about starting the quilting the other day...but once I got started, it went well! I think that the echoing of the block lines made it a good quilt to begin on...no fancy quilting, just great lines! It even transferred great to the back.
Even maneuvering it on my machine didn't seem to bad...although, a bigger quilt my make me say otherwise.

I love how everything just came together. Working with white takes a little bit more thought about which way to iron...but it makes a great finish!
On the back of the quilt I did end up putting on two quilt labels...one with the quilt name, my header, verse, that it was my first quilt, etc...but I also made an embroidered label to personalize it even more for Amber.
I've been more of a cross-stitch person, but this was fun to write/draw on a piece of fabric and add the colors I wanted...it went rather quickly and was fun. I tried a little embroidery earlier this year, but I didn't really like it...maybe doing my own thing would be more fun :) I really like the result of this label and think that for most of the quilts I will be making, they'll have two labels.

I don't think Amber will mind...yes, it's her Christmas present, but she already got to see it, and she really seems to like it.
I need to get started on a few more for Christmas...Liz's being one of them. She was wooing and awing over Amber's and requested a green quilt. We'll see what she end's up with!

It took some great pictures...so, here are a few more :)


Quilt Stats:
Size - 52" x 68"
Design - altered Warm/Cool Quilt Along Design
Fabric - 2 Fresh Flowers charm packs by Deb Strain for Moda
             color coordinated fabrics from Jo Ann's
             white from stash material
Binding - 1933 Poinsettia by Jackie Robinson and Maywood Studio
Quilting - machine quilted by me

Thank you so much for sharing the joy of my first finished quilt...
and I plan to spread it around to the different linky parties - see the right side bar for the list - and some flickr groups that I regularly contribute to...and then maybe a few more :)


If any man speak, let him speak
as the oracles of God;
if any man minister, let him do it
as of the ability which God giveth:
that God in all things may be glorified
through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise
and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
1 Peter 4:11 

I'm not sure if I've shared this verse here before or not, but I really like that it acknowledges that God gives us our abilities and that we need to glorify Him when we are using our gifts. We can never thank God enough for what He has done for us and we also need to remember to praise Him!

Amanda

22 comments:

  1. NO WAY !!!! Your FIRST quilt ?!?!?!! You did a GREAT job !!!! LOVE everything about it !!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious quilt!
    I love it! :o)
    And so sweet for you dear one.
    Sincerely, Trish

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you via Ladybird Ln..
    This is an amazing first quilt! You ought to feel very proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is absolutely GORGEOUS!!!!!! Wow! What a special, special gift! I'm going to have to face my giant and make a first quilt soon, you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these fabrics are so cheerful!

    Margaret
    msolomo1@maine.rr.com
    www.quiltsoflove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your first???? It's absolutely wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your first quilt?? Amazing, love the colors and designs. Nice job. My first "quilt" was a rail fence table runner we did in a class. Sometimes I drag it out when I need a good laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing quilt - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is your first quilt!?! It is really lovely - love your take on warm/cool. And what inspired pictures - the swing - perfect! ha. Really, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful quilt. No way I would have guessed it was your first. Great job!!

    Mary
    http://www.quiltgenius.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful quilt! Congratulations on your first quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a gorgeous quilt. I love the colors and congrats on your first!

    (By the way, I love the photography too. That's one of my favorite parts of sharing my quilts is trying to get great shots and making awesome photo arrangements. Yours are great!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is beautiful! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow this is just your first quilt? It looks great!

    And I like your Bible verse, yes, all our gifts are from God and to be used for Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That quilt is beautiful! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great job you did! I have made many, many quilts but I know my first one and probably even my first few didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great job! :) Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is your FIRST? You are a true natural :) Looks awesome!

    Love for you to join my Linky Party - JAQS "Made by ME" at http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/11/made-by-me-6-linky-party-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't believe this is your first quilt, it's amazing! You did a fabulous job and what a wonderful Christmas gift - and Amber sure seems to love it! Love the verse you shared too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am visiting from Allie's blog.
    Wow! what a fabulous first quilt! Well done.
    Love that verse too. God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...