Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Liz's Fat Quarter Skirt...

Yesterday found me making Liz her fat quarter skirt (because she was to tall for the pillowcase dress). It was finished in about 3 hours...however, that would have been less but everyone wanted to eat and Amber is still sometimes kind of slow at finishing her bottles.

This is my first try at showing the step by step process of a project. So let me know if there is anything I need to do to make it better!

I begin by washing my fabric...that's personal preference...some prefer not to.

This skirt uses 2 fat quarters (21" x 18") pieces of fabric, elastic for waist (I used 1/2 inch wide because it's what I had) and thread.
I ironed the fat quarters then placed them right sides together. Then I turned in both side seams in 3/8 inch, ironed, then turned them in again 1/2 inch, ironed, and sewed at 3/8 on my machines plate.
Then I ironed out the seams. Next I hemmed the bottom using the same measurements as the sides. 3/8 inch folded in, then 1/2 inch again, then sewed at 3/8 inch. I do the doubling to keep raw edging out of my skirts.
 The second half of the project is the waist. First, I turned down a 3/8 inch section, ironed, then based it down. (Makes the feeding of the elastic through the casing easier.)
After basing, I turned down a 3/4 inch hem to make the casing for the elastic. I sewed it at down at a 6/8 measurement on the plate on my machine, leaving a 3 inch section unsewen.

I measured the elastic to Liz's waist and added an extra inch - as per the instructions on the package (although I read those afterward - this was not my first use of elastic:)) I then fed my elastic through the casing then sized it to Liz, then sewed the elastic together.

I closed up the casing, then to help prevent the elastic rolling in the casing, I secured it in four places around the waist. One on each of the side seams, one in the front and one in the back.


Then it was ready for Liz to wear...which she did to school today.


Tomorrow I hope to do some quilting. I want to practice on a mug rug, which I have fabric picked out for it...

 But I also have more Star patterned quilt squares to make for gifts. The previous ones were put into a wall hanging for me...since they were the first ones I've made. So, now I need to make about 4 more for the gifts I want to make. Here's a (bad) picture of the wall hanging, which I still have to quilt then bind. All a new learning process for me, but I'm enjoying it!
I'll show a better picture when it is all done.

Lastly, like usual, I want to leave you with a Bible verse.

Therefore, my beloved brethern,
be ye steadfast, unmovable, always abounding
in the work of the Lord,
forasmuch as ye know
that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.
1 Corinthians 15:58

Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Great tutorial.
    Oh, to be small enough for a fat quarter skirt.♥

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...