Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Results...

Last nights Friday Night Sew-in didn't feel very productive at first, but once the baby went to bed more was accomplished. First I wanted to finish piecing the pillow tops, because this is how they've looked for almost a week...
First mission accomplished!
Next I decided to work on my oversize mug rug. I had the pattern picked out and some of the material I wanted to use. However, once I laid out the material to get started, I added some from my scrap basket... so my choices were from these...
Earlier I was going to go with blue, green, and yellow...However, the yellow & red material won out...so I went with yellow, red, and green...
So I cut the pieces...

And sewed the squares together and then cut where needed...
Now, I just have to press the triangles open to squares and then piece them all together and quilt.

I made a mistake - I didn't add an extra 1/2 inch to my small squares...I should have done this because the pattern was to cut triangles, and I thought it easier to make squares and then sew 1/4 inch both ways from the center diagonal line, then cut then apart there, but I forgot to do that the material should have been a little bigger because of the way the pattern was first laid out. (I should probably try this way on something small to make sure I thinking about this accurately!)

Oh well - so they are smaller than I first expected...but I had enough material for the size I did make :) All it means is that the finished block will be a little small...which for a mug rug exact measurements aren't as necessary as if I was making something more important. It's great practice...a trial and error kind of thing!

It's windy, rainy, and cool here - so I've changed my plans for the day...I'm going to stay home and sew. I think I'll work on the mug rug and Easter pillows for the girls.

This morning I read Psalm 48 and liked the confidence that God will always guide...

For this God is our God for ever and ever:
he will be our guide even into death.
Psalm 48:14

Have a great day...hope to 'see' you in church tomorrow!
Amanda

1 comment:

  1. Your star blocks look great and will make wonderful pillows!

    LaDonna

    ReplyDelete

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...