Markings In My Journal

Visit my other site, Markings In My Journal, for more inspiration.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Day 17 - Tasty Tuesday...

Today's Tasty Tuesday of The First 25 Days of 2012 also lands me on my 100th post...COOL! When I first started formulating the idea for The First 25 Days of 2012 I didn't even realize that it would also include this bloggy milestone...but it's a great place to include it!

Now for today's recipe...
It is technically named Mexican Relish, but around here the vegetables are a little chunkier and it is eaten on tortilla chips as salsa! So,

Mexican Salsa

6 large ripe tomatoes                               ¼ cup salt
12 green peppers                                     3 cups vinegar
4 cups chopped onions                            3 cups sugar
1 Habanero peppers                                5 Jalapeno peppers
Chop all the vegetables, add salt, and drain overnight. Boil vinegar & sugar for 5 minutes. Add the drained mixture of vegetables and bring back to a boil. Pour relish into 5 pint jars and seal in a water-bath canner for 35 minutes. [The Habanaero and Jalapenos add some heat to the mixture...however, this many still made it only a medium salsa - to me :)]

Chad loves this and did a lot of the work for it this past canning season...he even grew the Habanero and jalapeno peppers for in it. We still have enough vegetables in the freezer to make some more...except the onions :) So, soon we may make some Mexican 'winter' salsa - almost would fit this winter since here in northwestern PA we are having a very mild winter! Only 2 snow storms so far...and it warms to above freezing in between - even rain last night!

This recipe is from one of the best selling Pennsylvania Grange Cookbooks ever...the one first printed in 1972.
1972 Pennsylvania State Grange Cookbook
It's a great cookbook that I remember using when I began cooking around the age of 12 [however, I'm not using that copy - that one fell apart years ago!]. The only thing I dislike is that it has no index of the recipes...so, if you know which one you want, but don't remember the page its on...start flipping pages! It does, however, have a Table of Contents for the sections in the book. Oh, and no pictures :) but this has classic home style recipes!


I have set the LORD always before me:
because he is at my right hand,
I shall not be moved.
Psalm 16:8

Today, I was reading in Psalm 14, but noticed the pink highlighted verse on the other page... Psalm 16:8. It made me think about how we need to be - putting the LORD first! When we do this we can rest assure that we will not be as easily deceived or drawn away from the truths of our faith...

For me, some of those truths include: 
* Jesus was born of a virgin (Luke 2:27-32)  *
* died as a sinless man (that was also God) - through a sinners death -
to pay my penalty of sin (the Gospels) *
* He rose again and lives in Heaven...
and He is the only way to Heaven! (John 14:6) *
* the Holy Bible is the Word of God (2 Timothy 3:16) *

Amanda


No comments:

Post a Comment

Yeah! You've come for a visit! Thank you for writing to me...I LOVE hearing from you! I do try to respond back to the comments left...however, if you are a no-reply blogger...then, unfortunatly, I can't write you back!

Thank you so much for stopping by...